-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Devil Workshop

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hWolsky Posted - 11/04/2004 : 21:35:12
Hello éveri wouane! As a new member full of taste and spirit I want to underline the fact that DEVIL's WORKSHOP is the best Frank Black album since Teenager of the Year. Most of you, little giks seem not to face this evidence. Soldiers of Truth I want U to join me for this crusade! Show them the light.

my life in the BUSH of ghosts...

HW
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Holiday Son Posted - 11/09/2004 : 05:42:25
I like Cult of Ray. Always have. It's just that the other albums are better.
Someone Posted - 11/07/2004 : 21:09:44
Cult of Ray is a strange album. i discovered frank late. so there was a lot of music to search thru. i gave cor a couple listens and then put it aside to keep digging. i finally got through everything else and decided to go back to it. its incredible. so much depth to it. i still hear new things hidden in there. complex songs too. i love the chord progression in the song cult of ray. i have trouble playing that one on guitar cause its so awkward. its a weird one but one of my favs.
Superabounder Posted - 11/06/2004 : 21:59:42
Yeah, my biggest Frank disappointment was listening to Cult of Ray after anticipating the follow-up to TOTY. I do think I like it better now, maybe just appreciating lyle. Still, there are pockets of perfection in all things frank, just depending on your mood.
skeleton man1 Posted - 11/06/2004 : 18:43:24
Frank has two weak album's being devil's workshop and the cult of ray both have some good songs on them but overall i skip more than i want to listen to on those albums
Aurora-borealis Posted - 11/06/2004 : 12:27:16
I think "Modern Age" is one of the best FB songs EVER! I especially enjoy listening to the kitchen tapes version...
Monsieur Posted - 11/06/2004 : 12:06:58
I like DW but I also like zebras very much.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
VoVat Posted - 11/06/2004 : 11:14:19
Hey! I LIKE "Modern Age"!

I'm not a big fan of "The Scene," but it's okay.

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
billgoodman Posted - 11/06/2004 : 02:19:46
I think DW has some missteps
namely Modern Age
actually that's the only misstep
there rest is great
but the production isn't as good as any Nick Vincent produced record

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Stuart Posted - 11/06/2004 : 01:57:56
I think DW is more consistent that BLD. BLD has some great songs but also quite a few that I skip. I generally don't skips songs when listening to DW.

This is a high class bureau de change, not some Punch & Judy show on the seafront at Margate!
Sir Mike Posted - 11/05/2004 : 23:48:15
I do like DW but I give the edge to BLD

OldManInaCoffeeCan Posted - 11/05/2004 : 21:23:40
Come on now, you've got to be kidding.

Black Letter Days (BLD) can go toe to toe with Devil's Workshop (DW)and come out on top.
There are 18 songs on BLD and 11 on DW. If Frank had stopped at 11 on BLD we wouldn't have "I will run after you", "Jane the Queen of Love", "21 Reasons" and the other four.

I don't care what you say, More Frank is better than Less Frank!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I believe you will find credence in my position from The Man himself when he sings in "21 Reasons" "When I heard the Bald Bell Ringers, I knew then that you were toast." Frank was obviously giving his opinion that after he heard BLD (Bald Bell Ringers) he knew that DW (you) was toast.
VoVat Posted - 11/05/2004 : 10:50:45
I think DitS is the best Frank album since TotY, but DW is pretty cool as well. I think I like it better than its companion album. There aren't anywhere near as many songs, but most of the ones that are there are awesome.

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
ElevatorLady Posted - 11/05/2004 : 08:05:09
hWolsky, I will gladly join you in your crusade! Devil's Workshop is in fact my favorite Frank Black album (from the ones I've heard so far (and I've heard most of them (including TOTY and DITS)). Too bad it's so short. Still, very different from Black Letter Days, no way songs from these two albums could ever form only one (as I've heard some people suggest).
Oh, I'm putting it on right now. I am so going to enjoy it!

Adam Posted - 11/05/2004 : 06:15:38
Whiskey and Fields of Merigolds (sp) are my faves off that album.

Free the Heel!
Sir Mike Posted - 11/05/2004 : 06:10:54
quote:
Originally posted by hWolsky

Interestings comments, Sir, I actually AM Mr Bush, I'm taking a rest in front of my computa, I'm so glad I dit it again! Thank You folk for trusting me blindly! You may not know but I am really found of that Frank Black Man, and as you may know there is no a subtle like with my policy and... the devil's workshop... I'm back from St Antonio TX... I'm glad to say I finally went here...

HW

The HW was his father, George Herbert Walker Bush I meant cause it seemed more apt.

jediroller Posted - 11/05/2004 : 05:55:24
Dog in the Sand it is. You crusade is doomed.

In fact, I was listening to Pinback, but I'm switching to DITS right now. And it's all because of YOU!

Take this rock and shake it 'til it bleeds.
The Holiday Son Posted - 11/05/2004 : 05:37:25
I'm glad nobody follows you in this foolish crusade for everybody knows DITS is the best FB album since TOTY !

Though DW has some hits:
Velvety, San Antonio, Bartholomew, The Scene and Fields of Marigold (best chorus ever).
hWolsky Posted - 11/04/2004 : 22:10:51
There is no better song than WHiskey in your shoes, when first heard it, felt like I was 14 again, listening to the Sad Punk with no hair under my arms. His kingly cave is a fantastic gloomy hommage to the King, though Velevty does not rank the previous 'velvetesque' instrumental version. The whole words and sound of this album (the subtle reverb on some songs) make me sort of... come.

HW
Someone Posted - 11/04/2004 : 22:08:27
DW is fantastic but i don't think its his best. TOTY could be. But i am slightly fonder of Dog in the Sand. It has such a unique feel to it. rockin, twangy, still experimental from time to time. a great mix of his styles. and like i said. incredibly unique.
hWolsky Posted - 11/04/2004 : 22:06:39
Into the white...

HW
Superabounder Posted - 11/04/2004 : 22:04:17
wait, you are mistaken, George "W" was more into the white powder than the cactus oil while he was in Texas.
Superabounder Posted - 11/04/2004 : 22:02:08
DW definitely hits hard with a few songs, but I was never able to embrace it nearly as much as I did TOTY or FB. Or even DITS. Heck, even Black Letter Days and the gold album. Well, DW does have a rocking, liquor spilling, stomp on the floor energy to it which I love. It embraces that thicker, jamming sound with lots of raucous layers, perhaps not as well crystalized as some of his earlier releases. Ahhh, but it is kind of funny being called a little gik.
hWolsky Posted - 11/04/2004 : 21:52:22
Wouuuhouu, what am I saying, drunk to much cactus oil... Long live Gore...

HW
hWolsky Posted - 11/04/2004 : 21:49:29
Interestings comments, Sir, I actually AM Mr Bush, I'm taking a rest in front of my computa, I'm so glad I dit it again! Thank You folk for trusting me blindly! You may not know but I am really found of that Frank Black Man, and as you may know there is no a subtle like with my policy and... the devil's workshop... I'm back from St Antonio TX... I'm glad to say I finally went here...

HW
Sir Mike Posted - 11/04/2004 : 21:40:33
I don't know, those two albums seem so different to me. Like old Frank Black solo vs more updated countrified (dare I use such a classifying term?) Catholics. Both great in their own right but one seems like a more spontaneous and short band session, the other a large album of polished studio effects and remixing. Like them both but I hate to compare those two! Don't know...
Man strange initials there with the Bush,coincidence? Odd that the HW Bush would appear so close these days...

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000