-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Francis

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Steev Posted - 10/12/2004 : 20:18:09
I downloaded this from iTunes this morning, and I feel like I just wasted $25.

I'm all for experimentation and all... disc 1 is okay to have, I guess, from a collector's standpoint.

But disc 2... holy boring. Velouria is the only track that I've listened to the whole way through. The rest were too painful to listen to.

Ah, well. There's always Honeycomb!
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
onemoreover Posted - 06/07/2005 : 18:02:07
After thrashing FBF for a good six months, Planet of Sound gets better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better ...

lots of guys who shook their heads
vilainde Posted - 11/19/2004 : 02:06:29
quote:
Originally posted by dogjones

i dunno how people who can reference obscure nashville session musicians and obsess over artists who's albums barely run a circulation of a few hundred thousand can call that 2nd disc "techno" in any respect/form/shape...but well...i'll keep my cool

Uh... I'm a big techno fan, actually I listen to electronic music much more than indie (see the "bought any CDs" thread), and IMO the treated disc does sound "techno" in a way. As I said before, I'd love to hear these songs with a beat. It doesn't have to be done with computers and synths to be called "techno".

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."
Foucaults Dog Posted - 11/18/2004 : 23:23:06
quote:
Originally posted by rita

Is anyone having problems with Disc 2? My canīt play Planet of sound and some players just donīt recognise the CD! The store where I bought mine gave me another, to see if that happens again, and itīs the same! They are saying that maybe all of them have problems, but it seems that my is the only ...
Anyone happened this? I need some help!!

...Love, love, ain't this enough
Pushing around
To find little comfort in words
But words
Well they cannot love
Don't waste them like that
Cus they'll bruise you more

Yeah my disc two was playin up... A good wipe sorted it out. Think it's a combination of static and a cardboard case.

dogjones Posted - 11/18/2004 : 13:18:07
i dunno how people who can reference obscure nashville session musicians and obsess over artists who's albums barely run a circulation of a few hundred thousand can call that 2nd disc "techno" in any respect/form/shape...but well...i'll keep my cool
n/a Posted - 11/18/2004 : 07:27:34
Thanks Billgoodman, I donīt know what to do, at the store they donīt know what is happening either...this must be a curse!

Pushing around
But words
Well they cannot love
billgoodman Posted - 11/18/2004 : 05:53:20
mine plays planet of sound
without a problem
I'm sorry for you rita

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
VoVat Posted - 11/17/2004 : 16:38:12
quote:
Is anyone having problems with Disc 2? My canīt play Planet of sound

I think it's trying to save you from annoyance. <g>

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
n/a Posted - 11/17/2004 : 13:04:51
No, Iīve tryed on the computer, discman, DVD player, and it only plays on the worst player that I have in my kitchen...this never happened to me before!
The man at the store told me that this might be a problem with all the CDs. But maybe in Europe is a different edition from the USA.
Iīm very sad.

Pushing around
But words
Well they cannot love
Rauck_stah Posted - 11/17/2004 : 12:03:04
Well, I've played my second disc on my discman, computer, and car stereo with no problems. Sorry . Are you sure it's not the machine your playing it in?

Rauck Stah - The Man Who Is Too Loud
n/a Posted - 11/17/2004 : 11:47:12
Is anyone having problems with Disc 2? My canīt play Planet of sound and some players just donīt recognise the CD! The store where I bought mine gave me another, to see if that happens again, and itīs the same! They are saying that maybe all of them have problems, but it seems that my is the only ...
Anyone happened this? I need some help!!

Pushing around
But words
Well they cannot love
Rauck_stah Posted - 11/17/2004 : 07:13:33
Whew... This set is a roller coaster ride. Disc 1 just made me tense all over. They're good demos. The quality is nice, but man... too much makes my head hurt. And disc 2 was the antidote. It's good to have on for backround sound, but it gets kind of old if you just sit and listen to it. I don't know how many times I thought to myself "Damn.. Planet of Sound is STILL playing?"

Rauck Stah - The Man Who Is Too Loud
Bluish Black Posted - 11/17/2004 : 03:15:15
I have had frankblackfrancis a couple of weeks now. I bought it for disk 1 which I got just as a completist really. Although I will probably not listen to disk 1 very much I am listening to disk 2 quite a lot. It is excellent background music and his vocals are really good on it, and in fact it reminds me of the solo show he did in Camden around the same time he recorded it. I still have that show as the best gig I have ever attended, so it is well worth it just as a reminder of that show.
Superabounder Posted - 11/14/2004 : 21:41:54
I'm really loving disc 2 and I must admit it has gotten me listening to all my Pixies cd's again, even more than seeing them live again did. The best thing for me has been hearing my four year old son sing "this monkey's gone to heaven" as we drive around in the car, having got it stuck in his head earlier in the day. Then playing the "real" version for him and have him say that Frank "is a really good singer when he yells 'god is seven...'". Wow, great moment in fatherhood.
PearlJamaholic Posted - 11/14/2004 : 06:48:16
i got this cd the friday it came out. so ive had plenty of time with these discs. the first disc is just too cool. its kinda the birth of the pixies and to have it to listen to is awesome. i really thought id hate the techno stuff. but like the second disc. maybe im the only one but the 15 minute planet of sound just rules. i listen to disc 2 alot more than disc one. now if only best buy would get the picture that people buy frank black. everytime a new frank black album comes out they get like 5 copies and never restock.
vilainde Posted - 11/12/2004 : 07:44:58
Finally got it yesterday. I do like CD2. As some said, I'd like to hear those versions with percussions. I want techno remixes of that stuff.
CD1 kinda got on my nerves when I listened to it, but I'll give it another try.

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."
Brackish Heart Posted - 11/11/2004 : 02:13:01
I've only listened to disc 2 once, but i thought it was utter shite.

I look forward to posting in the future and refuting my own opinion.
Alpha Soixante Posted - 11/09/2004 : 06:05:21
Disc 1 is fantastic. It's great to hear Charles' guitar work - his playing is more sophisticated than I would expect, since it's usually drowned out by everything else. His delivery is great - intense yet subtle. I love a good Charles scream as much as anybody, but it's a cheap way to add intensity. This disc has it without the screaming. And there is nothing in world better than hearing Charles do a falsetto for the "I've been tired" line "why don't you tell me one of your biggest fears" then mimic the following guitar line with his mouth. Oh, and the fantastic version of Oh My Golly. This disc is hella better than their officially released live albums that I never listen to.

Disc 2. I'm glad he did it. It's interesting. But it's tiresome. I doubt I'll return to it often. I know I'll never listen to it beginning to end again. But it's not bad, and there's some good versions. I don't like the first half so much--except the ringing, chiming, chugging version of Levitate Me, which is great. The second half is pretty cool. The version of Velouria is freaking beautiful. The high school band version of Holiday Song with thumping tuba and jumping horn section is great. The eery slightly apocalyptic versions of Into the White, Is She Weird, and Subbacultcha are pleasingly disturbing.

Planet of Sound. Overkill. Too bad, it starts off great. It actually starts off sounding like the Hidden Cameras, then gains a pretty satisfying Velvet Undergroundy feel with solo Lou delivery and Moe Tucker on the drums. Then it becomes a very failed attempt at a Sister Ray of Charles' own. On and on and increasingly more annoying.

rocknrolldan Posted - 11/09/2004 : 00:19:00
I played it to a friend today when he was stoned, he thought it was Franks best yet. Maybe thats the ticket.

I was thinking it would of been cool if he released the demo with new, well recorded acoustic versions of Pixies tracks instead. Although I am starting to really like the 2nd disc , its only Subbaculture, Nimrods Son and Planet of Sound that i skip over.

"I like Lou Reed" she said...
Cabonga Posted - 11/08/2004 : 07:11:54
Finally got it. Disc 2 is just great. More trumpets!!

Die Harder
billgoodman Posted - 11/08/2004 : 06:13:59
I love the songs with the trumpets
Nimrod's Son and Holiday Son
are great

I love everything frank does btw

rocknrolldan Posted - 11/08/2004 : 04:26:04
I searched record stores trying to find it for the past 2, 3 weeks. FB's solo records are hard to come by in Australia. My local Independent store finally got it in yesterday. When I first listened to it I thought it was horrible, but it's starting to grow on me now.
The demo is good to have, not something I’d listen to frequently but shows how some of the Pixies best songs, some of my all time favourite songs were born.

The 2nd CD has its moments, I like 'Levitate Me' and 'Veloria'. I figured when I bought the CD that the songs won't work without Kim, Joey and Dave. It's just over-produced and lacks the raw, unpretentious, loudness that makes the pixies so damn awesome. 'Nimrods Son' and 'Planet of Sound' make me cringe, the originals are so good, mess with gospel but don't demolish it.

"I like Lou Reed" she said...
godin radiator Posted - 11/05/2004 : 13:21:18
Not at all. I started using MP3 and just wasn't satisfied. It's not audiophile snobism. You just loose out on dynamics. I've compressed songs to 256kbs for use my car, it just sounds awfull compared to the uncompressed music. Especially the drum and guitar riffs. I must admit that i'm cursed with good ears. But the digital evolution has taken a path in favour of lazyness and cheapness at the expense of quality.
It just doesn't work for me.

rock me joe
VoVat Posted - 11/05/2004 : 10:46:31
quote:
And this is for all you downloaders: MP3 ruins music. 128kbs is not enough to express music. It shallows it down to an efficient code, but it loses it's soul that a cd can reproduce (not as vinyl though)

Eh, if music has enough soul, then that can show through despite compression and "lossiness" and all that other audiophile garbage. Mind you, I'd rather have the CD, too, but for different reasons. I mean, sound quality is important, but I sometimes think the people who are all, "I don't think the production is very good here, and it's too compressed, and blah blah blah" are only hurting themselves.

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
n/a Posted - 11/05/2004 : 03:49:41
I donīt know what is happening but this is the first time that I buy a Cd that has some problems...I canīt listen disc2. I will have to replace it and wait some more time untill the store gets another...Weird thing!

No peito dos desafinados
Também bate um coraįão
godin radiator Posted - 11/05/2004 : 00:25:55
I'm pretty pleased with the discs. Disc one is a true addition to my pixies collection. I did not know what to expect from the second cd. It's a welcome twist to some of my favorite songs. It's pretty sedate, I think it will do just fine in my car stereo. It will save me al lot of fuel!

And this is for all you downloaders: MP3 ruins music. 128kbs is not enough to express music. It shallows it down to an efficient code, but it loses it's soul that a cd can reproduce (not as vinyl though)

rock me joe
hWolsky Posted - 11/04/2004 : 21:17:21
Being a fan of Pere Ubu and David Thomas' Work, I have to admit that Frank Black Francis is the best album of the 2 Pale Boys I heard, probably because the songs are real songs, while David Thomas ones sound more like evil though groovy litanies, check out "Erewhon" 1995, which is the best they recorded with Thomas.

HW
twist Posted - 11/04/2004 : 20:16:55
After giving FBF a fair shot at it disc 1 remains in the carousel as part of the shuffle mix, I think it's great and more than a novelty. Disc 2 proves CT has finally gone insane, but I'll buy his music even when he's following his muse into the sanatorium.
Foucaults Dog Posted - 11/04/2004 : 17:29:39
FBF finally came two weeks late from CD WoW, and wow, worth the wait.

The first disc is fantastic in a really nostalgic kinda way, plus it offers a whole repetoire for busking pixies tunes.

Disc two is exquisite, Frank is an ARTIST and has proved it here. The brass really gives an hispanic flavour to the tunes and the ambience of the whole recording is just sublime. Only one track fails for me, but the reworkings just prove the point that whatever you do to a great song it retains its beauty.

Also, the improved diction/clarity answers all those lyrical riddles that I'd been pondering.

Nice one Charles, you never let me down.
kathryn Posted - 11/04/2004 : 15:12:50
It just keeps growing on me. I am diggin' it.

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
n/a Posted - 11/04/2004 : 12:58:41
Mine arrived today, here in Portugal things get a little delayed...but I didnīt mind because I had listened to it already.
The CD cover is very nice, I didnīt knew it was Jeanīs artwork!

No peito dos desafinados
Também bate um coraįão
billgoodman Posted - 10/29/2004 : 04:51:53
that sucks avid-fan, horrible mistake

anyway I got FBF yesterday
and I like it
I look at it in the same way as I look at The Black Sessions/Kitchen Tapes
and maybe even Oddballs

just a quickie between two albums
nothing super special
although I have to say that I don't get the Two Pale Boys bashing
I think what they did is perfect
I'm not really into it
but it's better than expect after all that moaning from other fans
well, maybe it's not there cup of tea
that's possible

For Demo part, well there are just demos
I heard the golden ticket version of I'm Amazed
and with the mistake it's better than without the mistake
(I believe that that's one of the editing jobs Joey did)
I like a bit diversity, a mistake makes it more special
in the same vein as the telephone in nimrod, and frank's explaining the drum parts
I wished they had let the mistake that I know of in the song, and maybe some other mistakes too

BTW the mastering was done by a guy Mylos Something
isn't that the guy from the Pixies DVD?

Avid-Fan Posted - 10/27/2004 : 04:31:14
Finally got FBF [USA/spinart version] in the post today, opened it up and......... I got 2 x demo discs & no treated disc.
Did anyone else have a similar problem to this, or am I the only poor fool who received the wrong discs!?
and btw, yes it was a sealed copy...

(( I talk plain talk ))
benji Posted - 10/26/2004 : 13:37:45
listening to disc one has got me a bit confused.
i thought these were the same sessions that i'm amazed/broken face came from that were released on the vinyls on DTTP, but if you listen to i'm amazed, he doesn't fuck up like on the dttp version, but everything else sounds exactly the same - so have the fbf versions been edited to take out the mistakes, and why aren't the tracks running concurrently, which they obviously do from listening to the dttp versions?
anyone?
not important i know, but was the first things that struck me when listening to them...

and for the record, i'm digging the 2nd disc more than the first right now.

Join the Cult of Cartman! Respect my Authoritaah!!!
kathryn Posted - 10/26/2004 : 12:37:53
For what it's worth, it's all starting to grow on me now.
Both discs sound better the more I listen. Can we get a
Catholics album next?

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
Jason Posted - 10/26/2004 : 07:44:41
The "treated" disc in getting lots of good reviews in the press and I've read people on other boards say good things about it. Some folks here were predicting mass hatred for it outside of the fanboy dorksquad circle and in the reviews. It's nice to see that isn't so.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000