Topic:

Topic author: matto
Subject: Coach House 7/19/02
Posted on: 10/30/2002 08:09:01
I'd sent this to Martin way back. Till he's up, here's my:

FRANK BLACK AND THE CATHOLICS
THE COACH HOUSE, SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, CALIFORNIA
JULY 19, 2002

The Coach House is a 500-person room stuffed with picnic tables, sandwiched between car dealerships along the Southern California coast. This show was almost to capacity. The 1st opening act was so awful; they’re not worth mentioning. David Lovering (who had been opening for the Breeders in L.A.) followed with his scientific experimentalism show. Frank came onto play an acoustic set, then brought out the Catholics, one by one. He was in a great mood, in great form, very chatty and happy. Among many and chatty stories, he mentioned that he and Dave Phillips played an industry gig in Denver, where they saw the White Stripes play. Frank was very impressed and bought all their cds. Frank introduced Eric Drew Feldman as “Eric Drewfeldman”, whom he met while in “that band that opened for U2”. Frank said that his and Daves’ wives appear in a low-budget film, “The Low-Budget Time Machine” - with Frank and Dave also as zombies (somehow I doubt this) (although Frank is in a new documentary about They Might Be Giants called “Gigantic: A Story of Two Johns”). Also, Frank’s wife calls him “Superchooch”. AND, Frank Black and the Catholics start recording again August 1st. The Catholics’ drummer called in sick... which led the audience to begin screaming for David Lovering to come on and drum... to which Frank played along beautifully, and brought him out for the rest of the set - STUNNING. To the utter disbelief and delight of a packed house, 2 ex-Pixies played Pixies - great PR timing for the newly released “Pixies” demos cd - better PR for Frank and his legacy. It’s been a LONG time since I was so significantly thrilled with a rock show - everyone played brilliantly - and the addition of Lovering doubled the effect - standing ovations, screaming, cameras going off (yes both).

Frank solo:
1. Western Star
2. Crackity Jones
3. Brackish Boy
4. Jane the Queen of Love
5. Cold Heart of Stone
6. Wave of Mutilation
7. All My Ghosts (the crowd sung back-up vox)
8. If It Takes All Night
with Dave Phillips:
9. Robert Onion
10. Bartholemew
11. End of Miles
add Eric Drew Feldman
12. South Bound Bevy
13. Calistan
add Dave McCafferty
14. The Swimmer
add David Lovering
15. Llano Del Rio
16. Bullet
17. Whiskey In Your Shoes
18. Dog In the Sand
19. Velvety (Lovering begins to rock out)
20. Cactus
21. Nimrod’s Son
22. Holiday Song
23. Mr. Grieves
24. Gouge Away
25. Where Is My Mind? (sing-along)
encore:
26. Dancing the Manta Ray

spem in alium

Replies:

Reply author: Dave Noisy
Replied on: 10/30/2002 08:55:55
Nice...

Reply author: zanni67
Replied on: 10/30/2002 11:15:43
Hey, check out my topic about "Low Budget Time Machine" under general FB Chat. It's for real!

Or, just go here to see:

www.chud.com/news/may02/may28mutant.php3

Thanks for the link, Anazgnos!

Zan

-= Frank Black Forum =- : http://forum.FrankBlack.net/

© 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc.

Close Window