Page: of 19

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  04:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then:

Now:

You can confirm the genuineness of the deceased death by clicking on this website

free music | Blackolero | Frank Black & Pixies Tributes
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  07:57:41  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bubbazooka

Revenge of the Lawn by Richard Brautigan. Contains my favourite ever short story:

The Scarlatti Tilt

'It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play the violin.' That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.

Richard Brautigan is the funniest ever. Sometimes sad and funny at the same time.Love him.

Currently reading Pynchon's new one, Against The Day. Jaysus it's big.
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  09:20:09  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Idiot.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  10:10:04  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not really a big read but I was given this many moons ago along with a chess set and have just started reading

Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  10:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Almost through this one. Not sure what to make of it, but it's an enjoyable read (though I've had to keep a dictionary near by at all times), and is at times very funny. Not a lot of attachment to characters or sentiment; sort of a Guy Richie film written in with staccato'd, circular prose.

maybe I'll kick it
Go to Top of Page

Dallas
= Cult of Ray =

USA
725 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  11:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Vision of the Anointed - Self Congratulation as a Basis for Social Policy by Thomas Sowell

Ever the contrarian, this time Sowell targets the rhetorical methods liberals use to support their views of social issues. Usually, they frame a crisis to which the well-educated, articulate liberal, ruthlessly disparaged by Sowell as the "anointed," offers a categorical solution. To reach the solution, the liberal resorts to argumentative means that Sowell regards as fallacious. Examples he cites are the "Aha!" statistic in which condition A (say, infant mortality) is claimed to have cause B (inadequate budgets for prenatal care); or the assertion of a policy preference as a right, which is how a federal judge ordered a public library to allow an odoriferous, boisterous vagrant to roam the stacks--so that he could exercise his "right to receive ideas." These means defend a worldview of perfectible man that Sowell contrasts with the "tragic" view, stemming from human fallibility. Sowell's targets will find his criticisms irksome, if even worthy of their notice, but avid conservatives, for whom Sowell is a true-blue intellectual force, will certainly seize upon his analysis for succor. Gilbert Taylor --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Go to Top of Page

Dallas
= Cult of Ray =

USA
725 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  11:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am currently WRITING:

Vision of the DULLARD - Clowns incapable of posting pics to internet forums

Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  12:11:46  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

It's very interesting!

http://www.myspace.com/monkeyhelperband http://www.myspace.com/imnimrodsson
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  12:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I refuse to learn about ignorance.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  12:19:41  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
cptnpasty Posted - 04/26/2007 : 07:57:41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently reading Pynchon's new one, Against The Day. Jaysus it's big.

I want to read that. Waiting for the paperback to come out, hardback too cumbersome. Fucken October!

Reading this and enjoying, it's where my signature comes from:

--

Allen Ginsberg says you got no soul. The ancient Egyptians say you got seven of these bastards, and Pharaohs got fourteen, what they get for being Pharaohs.
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  14:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Owen! Just the man I was looking for. Have you read The Thought Gang or any Tibor Fischer? Thoughts?

maybe I'll kick it
Go to Top of Page

awestruck
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  18:16:18  Show Profile  Visit awestruck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am reading Atonement. Ian McEwan. haven't read too far yet. Doing a paper on it for one of my classes.
I like it.

Favorite Quote: awestruck is a she, she's a she. -trobrianders
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  04:23:27  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

a recent open letter from Thomas Pynchon defending Ian McEwan against charges of plagiarism stating that he lifted descriptions whole from the wartime diaries of an English nurse.

Speedmike, haven't read anything by Tibor Fischer but some folk have recommended him. Any one of his good for a first look?
--

Allen Ginsberg says you got no soul. The ancient Egyptians say you got seven of these bastards, and Pharaohs got fourteen, what they get for being Pharaohs.

Edited by - Newo on 04/27/2007 04:26:18
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  05:57:39  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
western lands is my favourite burroughs by a long way
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  06:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Thought Gang is the only Fischer I've read (... am reading ...), and I picked it up at used book shop mainly because Tom Robbins suggested it to me. Well, not to me per se, it was on the back cover, but you know, it's Tom Robbins.

But while reading it I thought of you because you are my literary guru and if I read something I think is cool I have to check with you to make sure it's actually cool. And it has a glossary at the back with a partial list of words he uses that begin with the letter 'z'. And only about half of them are listed. It goes on for three pages.

maybe I'll kick it
Go to Top of Page

awestruck
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  19:37:03  Show Profile  Visit awestruck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finished Atonement. I really liked it. Kind of sad. I always have that sad feeling when a book is over. like I wish it could just carry on. silly, huh?

Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  22:49:39  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bubbazooka

Revenge of the Lawn by Richard Brautigan. Contains my favourite ever short story:

The Scarlatti Tilt

'It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play the violin.' That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.

Heh. Brautigan is the master with just a few words. I remember his poem that goes something like:

Looking down at my penis
Knowing it has been inside you three times today
Makes me smile

Funny and almost a throwaway, but somehow poignant.

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  06:31:21  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i was on a huge brautigan kick last year. my favorite novel is "so the wind won't blow it all away". the whole bit about hamburgers is priceless.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  08:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

jamming good with Weird and Gilly
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  09:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to read that, Floop. Is it good?

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  09:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found American Psycho a bit odd... It really doesn't change tone, pace, or tempo throughout it's entirety. After you've read a few chapters, you're basically going to be reading the same thing over and over, with extremely minor plot advancements. It's an excellent idictment of consumer culture, and it's extreme in it's graphic/gruesome violence (ever wonder what happens when you hook up a car battery to a woman's breast?). I was compelled to continue reading it, even if in the end it felt a bit empty. Which is probably the point.

maybe I'll kick it
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  11:48:58  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I liked it.

Idiot.
Go to Top of Page

50 Pence
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  12:42:11  Show Profile  Visit 50 Pence's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1984 - Orwell, AGAIN.

Blats
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  04:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by starmekitten

I liked it.

Idiot.

Me too, a lot. In fact I may read it again soon.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  07:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Got it at a bargain price, and it's signed by author Chris Donald, Viz's original editor. It's proving to be an interesting and entertaining read.

Edited by - Carl on 05/06/2007 07:16:19
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  18:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m
I was compelled to continue reading it, even if in the end it felt a bit empty. Which is probably the point.

if there was ever a book where emptiness is one of the themes, this is one of them.

i know what you mean though. i kind of would have liked there to be more narrative, but then that's not the kind of book this was..

the thing i liked most about the book (i just finished reading it) is the humor. granted, it's bleak, but there is some funny material in there..

it's also a radically imaginative book

Edited by - floop on 05/06/2007 18:22:16
Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  10:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
J.R,R. Tolkein's The Children of Hurin

---------------------------------------
i try to be mallory but i'm still skippy
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  11:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It's the history of Curt Flood suing the baseball to become a free agent. Half way done and it's really good. I like civil rights history and baseball and it's well written.

Edited by - darwin on 05/07/2007 11:39:21
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  14:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GOD'S LITTLE ACRE by Erskine Caldwell

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

awestruck
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  17:47:13  Show Profile  Visit awestruck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I started reading The Crystal Cave. It seems to be ok. Just read the first couple of chapters. What I think I really want to read are all the Harry Potter books. My son has the first 4. Has anyone read those? I know they are more for kids but they seem like they would be interesting.

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  19:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I love this writer.

I got some heaven in my head
Go to Top of Page

awestruck
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  20:21:41  Show Profile  Visit awestruck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I read Atonement and I loved it. Perhaps I should read something by Ian McEwan.

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  21:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's so amazing. Last week I met someone who hated Atonement and it stumped me. Try Saturday, the book before his latest. And Chesil Beach is great, too.

I got some heaven in my head
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  05:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m
I was compelled to continue reading it, even if in the end it felt a bit empty. Which is probably the point.

if there was ever a book where emptiness is one of the themes, this is one of them.

i know what you mean though. i kind of would have liked there to be more narrative, but then that's not the kind of book this was..

the thing i liked most about the book (i just finished reading it) is the humor. granted, it's bleak, but there is some funny material in there..

it's also a radically imaginative book

I thought the book was even funnier.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  06:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic