Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  17:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

Never read it when i was supposed to, so i'm giving it a try now...

- Brian

I read it high school and didn't have a clue of what was going on (but in high school I didn't really care).
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  03:43:25  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

quote:

- Brian

I read it high school and didn't have a clue of what was going on (but in high school I didn't really care).

I read the first few chapters in high school and thought it was boring. I read the first few chapters yesterday and found it pretty great.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  04:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

Try as I might, my own voice couldn't quite replicate his.

Try and diphthongalong to this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM1xw8WNeqc

treetime
- FB Fan -

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  08:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am reading Moby Dick. It is humorous at times, but filled with details about the 1850's whaling industry that gets a bit boring.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  08:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moby Dick: another classic I've failed to appreciate. One summer in Alaska I tried to read it and maybe got 1/4 through it.
Go to Top of Page

Crackitybones
- FB Fan -

Guadeloupe
65 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  09:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

- Brian

It's a beaut, Brian, isn't it? People's opinions of "classics" sometimes become jaded because they're so ubiquitous, but this book does teenage angst better than anything I've ever seen or read (and is only surpassed by the listening to The Undertones!)
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2790 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  11:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

Try and diphthongalong to this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM1xw8WNeqc

Ah but in that one, the sound of Nick's voice would be a distraction to me. In, And The Ass Saw The Angel the reader is trapped in Eucrid's mute world, that fits in perfectly with the silence of reading.

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  12:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's true.

Will you be going to see The Road? Are you looking forward to the Cave/Ellis score?

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2790 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  12:49:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cave/Ellis score? Yes. The Proposition was a great film and have the CD from that. The Death Of Bunny Munro was originally a screen play, I wonder now if it will be made into a movie. Maybe Ray Winstone as Bunny?

70% chance I'll enter a movie theater and watch The Road, though the thought of some of my fellow movie goers being cannibals in waiting worries me.

Edited by - danjersey on 10/13/2009 12:50:45
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  00:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

Cave/Ellis score? Yes. The Proposition was a great film and have the CD from that. The Death Of Bunny Munro was originally a screen play, I wonder now if it will be made into a movie. Maybe Ray Winstone as Bunny?

70% chance I'll enter a movie theater and watch The Road, though the thought of some of my fellow movie goers being cannibals in waiting worries me.

Well with concession stand prices these days you can hardly blame them.

Their score for "The Assassination of..." was great I thought, especially Song For Bob, the standout piece.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq_vi_qB72w

I might try looking for his script for Gladiator 2 but I doubt I'll be able to read it all the way through.

Crackitybones
- FB Fan -

Guadeloupe
65 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  01:10:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Is it boring to read about medieval history? Is my wife right to complain when dinner table conversation goes "so, King John....good or bad?"
Go to Top of Page

gyaneshwar
- FB Fan -

194 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  02:56:04  Show Profile  Visit gyaneshwar's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I'm writing about US and UK emigration to Brazil in the 1870s, and part of Hardy's novel is about the topic. It's not a bad read, if you're into Victorian literature about maidens. Which I normally am not. But I'll get through it.

Edited by - gyaneshwar on 10/14/2009 02:56:34
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  07:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by treetime

I am reading Moby Dick. It is humorous at times, but filled with details about the 1850's whaling industry that gets a bit boring.

I found an abridged version that was edited for children. It's maybe 150 pages. When you boil the story down to just the story itself, it's a delightful read. My 7-year-old was rapt.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2790 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  09:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

quote:
Originally posted by treetime

I found an abridged version that was edited for children. It's maybe 150 pages. When you boil the story down to just the story itself, it's a delightful read. My 7-year-old was rapt.

If you got a minute, an excerpt from Chapter 132, The Symphony

Starbuck and Ahab discussing whether they should just forget this whole "White Whale" thing and go home.

Starbuck- Come, my Captain, study out the course, and let us away! See, see! the boy's face from the window! the boy's hand on the hill!

But Ahab's glance was averted; like a blighted fruit tree he shook, and cast his last, cindered apple to the soil.

Ahab- What is it, what nameless, inscrutable, unearthly thing is it; what cozzening, hidden lord and master, and cruel, remorseless emperor commands me; that against all natural lovings and longings, I so keep pushing, and crowding, and jamming myself on all the time; recklessly making me ready to do what in my own proper, natural heart, I durst not so much as dare? Is Ahab, Ahab? Is it I, God, or who, that lifts this arm? But if the great sun move not of himself; but is as an errand-boy in heaven; nor one single star can revolve, but by some invisible power; how then can this one small heart beat; this one small brain think thoughts; unless God does that beating, does that thinking, does that living, and not I. By heaven, man, we are turned round and round in this world, like yonder windlass, and Fate is the handspike. And all the time, lo! that smiling sky, and this unsounded sea! Look! see yon Albicore! who put it into him to chase and fang that flying-fish? Where do murderers go, man! Who's to doom, when the judge himself is dragged to the bar? But it is a mild, mild wind, and a mild looking sky; and the air smells now, as if it blew from a far-away meadow; they have been making hay somewhere under the slopes of the Andes, Starbuck, and the mowers are sleeping among the new-mown hay. Sleeping? Aye, toil we how we may, we all sleep at last on the field. Sleep? Aye, and rust amid greenness; as last year's scythes flung down, and left in the half-cut swaths --Starbuck! But blanched to a corpse's hue with despair, the Mate had stolen away.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  15:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm reading "the blind watchmaker" by richard dawkins. having been raised in christian schools, i had never been taught much about evolution. in recent years i've shed all religious beliefs, so i should probably brush up on some of the stuff i missed out on.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  15:57:02  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just finished this...

Just started this...

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

gyaneshwar
- FB Fan -

194 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  17:18:50  Show Profile  Visit gyaneshwar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just finished this...

Just started this...

- Brian

Brian - how was the Dickey book? I've read a lot of his poems, but none of his prose.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  20:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  01:48:04  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gyaneshwar

quote:

Just finished this...

Just started this...

- Brian

Brian - how was the Dickey book? I've read a lot of his poems, but none of his prose.

I really enjoyed it - very methodically paced and, at times, quite disturbing. A pretty quick read - highly recommended.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

gyaneshwar
- FB Fan -

194 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  04:14:01  Show Profile  Visit gyaneshwar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Brian. Just put it on hold for myself at the library. Going to read it after I finish these two:

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  17:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished Peter Jackson: A Film-maker's Journey, currently reading this:

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  15:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody here using a Kindle for their reading these days? I keep wanting one, then keep remembering that books are so much better. One of these days, I'm sure, I'll give in to temptation.

Go to Top of Page

gyaneshwar
- FB Fan -

194 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  03:41:46  Show Profile  Visit gyaneshwar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Anybody here using a Kindle for their reading these days? I keep wanting one, then keep remembering that books are so much better. One of these days, I'm sure, I'll give in to temptation.

Cohen, you have entered my own internal debate for the last few months. On one hand, it would be nice not to carry three or so books with me everywhere I go. On the other hand, I really love old school, paper, heavy ass books.

One thing that is swinging me to the Kindle is the sheer mass of free books I could put on it - there are tons of older books available for download at Google Books.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  07:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody read Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy? Do you need to read them in order or do they stand alone well enough on their own?

Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2790 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  07:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed reading the first one, All The Pretty Horses. I tried to get into the other two, The Crossing and Cities of the Plain, but lost interest in both rather quickly. Theres only so much cowboy talk I can take.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  09:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've only read the first, but enjoyed it.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  18:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been reading The Road, but I'm having a hard time with it: it's really disturbing to me, especially as a single father. I read a movie review in Time Magazine which said that the book should have come with a mental health warning on it, and I'm agreeing. Has anyone here read it?

I'd rather be anywhere or doing anything
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2790 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  19:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I am not a Father so my opinion here treads softly. I am however the son of a Man who died two years ago this October. I felt close to my Dad while reading The Road, and feel closer to him still when thinking about it.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  19:45:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  13:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been wondering about that, darwin? Thoughts so far?

I remember sitting in a basement listening to Fields of Marigold until I passed out.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  14:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first 15 or so pages are good. At this point I'm mostly worried about keeping all of the Russian names straight.
Go to Top of Page

Srisaket
= Cult of Ray =

Thailand
313 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  16:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a good book, good to read not a scholarly 'blow-by-blow' re-telling of the battle.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  16:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sold!

I mean, soon to be checked out of my nearest library.

Thanks, gents.

I remember sitting in a basement listening to Fields of Marigold until I passed out.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  21:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Superabounder

I've been reading The Road, but I'm having a hard time with it: it's really disturbing to me, especially as a single father. I read a movie review in Time Magazine which said that the book should have come with a mental health warning on it, and I'm agreeing. Has anyone here read it?

I'd rather be anywhere or doing anything

I read it. I enjoyed it. I have a daughter so i kinda thought of it as me and my dad instead of putting myself in the father's shoes, however, there are couple moments when the protective side of being a father is definitely stirred and you wonder to yourself "what would i do in that situation?". know what i'm saying?

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000