Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  16:37:14  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
oh.the photo proves that though jb is a punk hero he was interested in exchanging opinions on various arguments going from politics(berlusconi in that case)to modern music in a pizza store and in a bathtub with a complete stranger(and letting a complete stranger put all the concert adds around.thanks Jello).

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
www.superabound.altervista.org
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  17:23:17  Show Profile
cool pics. a friend of mine got to interview him once for the San Francisco State University paper.. it's a pretty entertaining interview (he taped it) and he seemed like a cool fella.

i was very into them in Jr. High/High school.. but haven't listened to them in quite a while. Frankenchrist will always be a classic in my eyes though.. and the Dead Kennedys will always have a special place in my heart.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  20:52:32  Show Profile
Amen. I have been listening to the DKs for 24 years now, saw them 6 or 7 times and even met Jello once up in Berkeley. To see someone else mouth his lyrics would probably cause me to go into a violent fit.

My old Jello page:
http://www.smashitup.net/biafra/

Edited by - BLT on 01/12/2004 20:52:55
Go to Top of Page

slaveish
= Cult of Ray =

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  23:16:31  Show Profile  Visit slaveish's Homepage
[quote]Originally posted by mun chien andalusia

i know this isn't the propper topic but what the hell.

Jello Biafra was a role model for me as a teenager.when finally i got to meet him live and face to face he was the coolest person ever.one that prefers to stay in a fucking flat instead of selling off his cult status in the wave of punk revival.he fought and still fights again the establisment and one one that prefered a law suit of his ex bandmates to giving a punk classic to a multinational.i don't like all of his music yet i buy everything that alternative tentacles produces(music that goes from hip-hop to industrial) just to support free thinking.i'll mention that in certain moments AT was the only company that was willing to pubblish noam chomsky's books.keep checking him out.

ps:apl4eris did i ever mention that u are really cool?

mun chien andalusia:

try sending smaller images. large ones slow down the whole download process while viewing the forum.

---slaveish---
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  20:41:23  Show Profile
in an attempt to get into the DIY festival without paying, i'm submitting one of my old short films from film school. i'm less interested in having my film discovered and becoming a Hollywood mogul than i am in getting in for free and getting to see Frank speak. though becoming a mogul wouldn't be bad either.

wish me luck.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  04:36:45  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
Good luck!

A fucking great plan!

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  17:31:42  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Wouldn't it be a floop...err...a fluke if that film blows everyone away and you somehow become rich and famous. That sounds like the plot of a movie...that gives me an idea...

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  19:00:39  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Jop, totally off topic, but how long have you been in the Culf of Frank? I just noticed that...

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  09:31:02  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage
I'm actually disappointed that someone else noticed the "Culf of Frank" thing. I thought it might be my private laugh forever.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  10:07:23  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Jop, totally off topic, but how long have you been in the Culf of Frank? I just noticed that...

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"

Treebeard voice: Now don't be hasty master Dean, but I have been in the cult for months! Do you see it, it's a quote from Tiny Heart

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  10:08:14  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
what the fuck

it says culf

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  10:09:32  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
I thought it was your typo, Dean! I just noticed it after CrispyWatters reply! I guess I have to change that...

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  22:05:51  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Crispy Water

I'm actually disappointed that someone else noticed the "Culf of Frank" thing. I thought it might be my private laugh forever.

Yeah, and here I thought it was my private laugh. Now I have only my privates to laugh at.

What da ya want for nothing? ... a rubber biscuit?
Go to Top of Page

slaveish
= Cult of Ray =

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  15:11:44  Show Profile  Visit slaveish's Homepage
Think this event is really going to happen? Two weeks away, and still no mention in the LA Weekly.
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  13:49:20  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage
http://www.diyconvention.com

If it's not real, it's one of the most elaborate hoaxes I've ever seen.

Go to Top of Page

slaveish
= Cult of Ray =

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  20:42:23  Show Profile  Visit slaveish's Homepage
I'm doing a little research. I can find nothing beyond the same press release that appeared here. It is on various websites. Los Angeles Cultural Affairs, which runs Barnsdall art center, makes no mention. The Derby's site has yet to post its February calendar. I have a question in to the DIY website, regarding this.

Edited by - slaveish on 01/23/2004 20:44:07
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2004 :  10:14:00  Show Profile
it's happening.

i recently realized that i have a friend who knows the festival director, so, i think i'm going to be able to finagle my way in to the Saturday panelist day.. otherwise, there's no way i would pay $75. according to the schedule, he's only speaking for an hour..

http://www.diyconvention.com/categoryA/2_details.asp?category_id=76&categoryA1_id=&categoryA2_id=20

it is odd that the Barnsdall site doesn't have anything, or LA Weekly.. i'm sure LA Weekly will next week..
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2004 :  21:17:43  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
I'm pretty sure i asked Ken, and he confirmed it..i believe..

Um, yeah. That's helpful.
Go to Top of Page

slaveish
= Cult of Ray =

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  17:07:08  Show Profile  Visit slaveish's Homepage
Still so little press on this event. The Derby finally posted its February calendar- listings for next weekend are so vague- "Club DIY" for Thursday and "TBA" for Friday.

The only other mention I can find is on KCRW.com's calendar- which only has links to the Derby, Barnsdall, and DIY sites. No other info.

No ads in the LA Weekly or the LA Times. Usually events like this advertise two or three weeks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
233 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  14:57:00  Show Profile
Any updates on what Frank had to say? I hope some of you had a chance to attend.

Erik
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  15:18:25  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Yeah, seriously, what was said?

"Join the Cult of Brit / And let your oral hygiene go out the window."
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  16:09:22  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
All he did was have a keynote speech or whatever at 12 o clock....it's like 4 o clock over there now. Someone has to tell us what he said...hopefully someone wrote down the dialogue...

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  16:15:23  Show Profile
He said he liked Eddie Vedder back when he belted out "Jeremy" and - oh, I'm kidding.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  14:02:03  Show Profile
so, it was quite the treat, to say the least.. the Barnsdall Art's Center alone is worth going to .. it's this beautiful building up on a hill in Los Feliz with a panoramic view of the city. as slavish will attest (who was the lucky contestant to come with me) the weather this weekend in LA has been beautiful (which is why i'm going to make this short for now becasue i'd rather be outside)..

the cool thing about it was, even though ostensibly it was about Doing-It-Yourself in the music industry etc.. the whole thing was more like a press conference about the recent Pixies stuff. at first, i thought maybe slavish and i were the only one's there specifically to see Frank Black, but once they opened up the the questions and answers it was clear that almost everyone there was a serious fan. and basically that's what the whole thing was.. Johnny Angel (very cool, did an excellent job) kind of led the questioning.. but the field was open to the audience the entire time, so it was basically this hour and a half question and answer session with Frank Black..

and people weren't asking questions you'd expect from this type of convention (like, how can i make it in the industry etc..)... it was all total fan questions.

i taped it but it came out kind of shitty, but audible. i don't think i have the time to transcribe the whole thing, but i'll try. or, at least the highlights.

as far as new information, nothing new was announced that we don't already know except, he said the warm-up tour is going to start out in the Northwest of the United States and make it's way East. Eugene, Oregon was the only specific mention. he said they can't play around LA because of the Coachella festival (contractually).. so, it looks like i'm going to have to bite the bullet and go to Coachella.

also, when asked about whether they're going to be recording new material, he didn't have a specific answer (as usual) but i got the impression that it's probably going to happen.

my question (the last one of the day, when i finally got the guts to say something) was whether this was going to be a one-off thing and he was going to go back to solo work, or if this was officially "getting back together".. predictably, he didn't answer.. but his answer was fucking cool . and, i'd like to think, the coolest answer to any question asked that day (because it was me of course)..

he said: "I don't know... We're just kind of.. you know.. I don't really have a .... I'm a snake. I don't konw if you're familiar with the Chinese Zodiac but, I'm down on the ground [makes motion with arms like he's laying on his stomach] I don't think that far ahead, I'm just kind of feeling my way"..

Fuck yeah.

I got my Doolittle vinyl copy signed, which will be promptly framed and put on my wall. i wish i had some FB on vinyl, which, if i had self-titled (Yellow) i would have brought that, but i figured getting vinyl signed would be cooler than a cd.

anyway, i'll try and think of more highlights, but i gots to get outside. it's too nice a day.

Edited by - floop on 02/08/2004 14:14:35
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  14:45:21  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address
Thanks Tony, looks like they'll be headed my way soon. RAWK!

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  14:58:24  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
Wow, I don't know, but that Frank reply on your question, could be the reason why I love him so,
it's got nothing to do with music, but just the image around him, the things he says are so darn cool.

Probably new pixies material (hehe, I'm jumping conclusions here, but why not?) sounds not that weird as it seems, the guy has a mobile studio, why wouldn't he record it? Ken Goes would be happy with it, he would be happy with it, we would, everybody would.

But I'm easily pleased, if they won't record anything new, but the catholics will, I would be equally happy

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  15:22:20  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
"I don't know... We're just kind of.. you know.. I don't really have a .... I'm a snake."

I think it'd be cooler if that were his answer. That would be hilarious. "Uh...yeah..I don't know...like..umm...we just...I'm a snake."...hahahha, then again I'me weird

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  15:48:16  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Awesome, thanks tony. Can't wait to hear it...maybe you could just post the audio or something?

"Join the Cult of Brit / And let your oral hygiene go out the window."
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  16:16:50  Show Profile
Thanks for the info Tony. Hopefully you can find the time to transcribe the whole thisng or put the audio up

Join the Cult Of Gunn / and you'll never need a hair stylist again"
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  18:50:39  Show Profile
does anyone have the technology to transer it from mini cassette and stream it or whatever? like i said, the quality is not good.. but it would take forever to transcribe it (it's like an hour and half)..

if anything, I can do my best to pick the best stuff, and paraphrase or whatever.

also, i promised John Mendels(s)hon, who's writing the Pixies book, that i'd get him a copy.. so maybe after he sends it back. unless someone can put it up and he can check it out online.

anyone anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Dogfish
- FB Fan -

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  19:18:17  Show Profile  Visit Dogfish's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by floop

does anyone have the technology to transer it from mini cassette and stream it or whatever? like i said, the quality is not good.. but it would take forever to transcribe it (it's like an hour and half)..

if anything, I can do my best to pick the best stuff, and paraphrase or whatever.

also, i promised John Mendels(s)hon, who's writing the Pixies book, that i'd get him a copy.. so maybe after he sends it back. unless someone can put it up and he can check it out online.

anyone anyone?

I could do this, and most likely clean it up a bit, but I am in dallas... So that presents a problem.
Go to Top of Page

shooz
- FB Fan -

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  19:50:26  Show Profile
You should be able to connect the output from your mini tape recorder to the input of your computer's sound card, record it to a WAV file, and compress it into an mp3. You might have to make a trip to RadioShack to get the proper cable though...
Go to Top of Page

slaveish
= Cult of Ray =

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  21:11:10  Show Profile  Visit slaveish's Homepage
Okay, time to add my two cents. I was too excited yesterday to settle down and write anything. I agree with Bill Goodman- he is just so darn cool. I felt like I was back in high school- I had to call my friends and babble on excitedly about this and about asking him a question and having him sign my teenager of the year cd. my hand was shaking so much i could barely get the card out of the jewel case.

Mostly my impression of him, which I had thought from reading/listening to his interviews, is that he is just such a genuine, normal, nice and friendly guy. His smile is infectious and he had the crowd laughing the whole time. Although Danny Angel didn't ask him questions relating to the event, Frank steered some of the answers so as to address why he was there. He gave advice for aspiring musicians, coming from his personal experience. He said to avoid chasing fame, and just do what you love- focus on your art. He said he does what he does because he loves it. He said success came b/c he always focused on writing songs- someone asked about an acting career- and he said he decided a while ago just to do what he is good at. He also said to stay within your means- avoid the recording contracts that offer advances. He mentioned that they recently sold their tour bus and got a van. This was in response to Danny Angel's comment that they (the Catholics) are one of the few touring bands that actually come back with money. He said that they are careful with their money and that's how they do it.

Someone asked him about Bowie recording "cactus," and he said he was thrilled. He said when he saw him perform it last wekend, he was sitting in the audience thinking, "this is me! this is me!," pointing to himself with both hands. He was great to watch- very animated, gesticulating wildly with his hands, and making great facial expressions. I can see why people are curious about an acting career- also b/c of his infamous crazy photos in custumes and whatnot.

If someone can work with Floop to clean the tape up and transfer it, it would be well worth it. I think people in the forum would really enjoy hearing it. Of course you will hear my laughter again and again, as I was sitting next to the recorder. We sat in the front row- right in front of him. Exciting!

I'm sure I have lots of other things to say- just can't remember them right now. I think he did say that Eugene would be the first date. Did he say that, Tony? His advice, and description of his ethic, was applicable for any type of artist. People are always telling you that you can't make it as an artist, and the way I get through it myself is to focus. It's the only way. It was very inspring to hear him say this.

All in all a great event, great opportunity (thanks floop!) and like Tony said, a beautiful day and choice location. High on a hill, right across from the Hollywood sign. One of the rare, smog-free days in Los Angeles. I have some photos, and will post them when I get the chance.

Edited by - slaveish on 02/08/2004 21:16:42
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  21:56:44  Show Profile
dogfish,
i would email you directly but there's no email in your profile. yeah, if you can do it that would be great. i could mail it to you (assuming i can trust that you'll return it etc..).. my only worry is that the post office will x-ray it and that could fuck up the magnetic tape, no?
feel free to email me privatly and we can sort something out. i'd love to share this great interview with everyone, but it would probably take me a few hours to transcribe it (though, if there's no other way, i'll do my best)
floop
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  22:09:23  Show Profile
other tidbits i remember off the top of my head:

someone asked what his favorite Pixies song was, and his favorite Frank Black song.. he said Gouge Away was probably his favorite Pixies song becasue he was able to write something with traditional content (about Samson and Delilah) and he likes it becasue the chorus part sounds kind of "Stonsy"..
he said his current favorite Frank Black song is Horrible Day because, as of late, he's been trying to perfect writing more "middle of the road" themed lyrics.. as opposed to his earlier offbeat, nonlinear stuff.. he said that he thinks it's much harder to write straightforward middle of the road themed songs WELL. it's very east to write bad songs like that. but to do it well is much more difficult, and he felt that Horrible Day was a right step in that direction (or something).

also, it was cool becasue he said that he was going to rehearsal with the band right after the convention. and that they now have 30 songs down.

someone asked how things are different now, 10 years later and having changed etc.. and he said it feels "exactly the same". he said the only thing that was different was that everyone showed up with their Starbucks and is like "what do you get?"

what else??

among many different questions about "why the reunion?".. he did admit that the decision had a lot to do with (though not entirely) the financial aspect. which i really respect. i'm glad he wasn't just like "oh, we just love playing together" etc..

he said that every year they get offers to play shows, and that this year "some people finally lightened up" (i'm assuming he's refering to himself)..

he also talked about (as he has before) how when he writes songs, he doesn't do it like most people: writing the lyrics and then the music. he always comes up with the music, and the vocal melodies, but doesn't really have words attached.. just sounds. and then he fills it in. Johnny Angel chimed in and said that he could vouch for that. he recalled a time (around 91 or 92) when he got to sit in on one of their rehearsal sessions (i think on bass) and Frank was trying out a new lick. he had the band play it over and over (no lyrics)..
a couple years later Angel said he heard a song on the radio and was like, "i know this riff".. and then realized it was a Frank Black song. and realized it was the song they were jamming to. which was Los Angeles.

there are too many cool moments to recall. i hope we can get this up for everyone to hear.

also, regarding the Northwest warm-up tour. i don't think he said that Eugene was first, but that Eugene was the furthest South (in relation to LA) that they'd be playing. because someone asked when we'd get to see them in LA. and he didn't say how far East they'd be going. he said that they were doing the opposite of the Sex Pistols, when they came to the US and did the South East.

Edited by - floop on 02/08/2004 23:13:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000