-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 30 Years of TOTY - What will WE do about it?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bedbug Posted - 03/07/2024 : 12:32:03
I just wanted to connect to the forum on this wavelength.

Do you guys / gals want to try to do something for TOTY's 30th?

I know there's tons more people besides the dozen of us who recognize TOTY for what it is.

Could we.... do something?

I don't know what, a listening party? A commemorative event? A public demonstration to raise awareness? A YouTube video?

I have no idea but I thought I would bounce it off the forum to see if this seed could germinate into something bigger.

I'm in NY, and I think a couple other are too, and I know a bunch of you are in Europe, but maybe somehow something could happen with this?

If no interest, I'm sure we will all appreciate TOTY in our own ways, but again I just thought I'd take the pulse of the people and see if anyone had any thoughts.
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 06/13/2024 : 02:55:53
Our man will not let us down
wilson Posted - 06/12/2024 : 23:47:05
US .. hang in there a couple more weeks.
moonruler Posted - 06/12/2024 : 10:42:20
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

When your eyes are cleared of tears, ready the news that I posted in the other thread... carefully. Thomas?

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

I did, still a little nervous. My fingers are crossed. I am too old to hold my breath for a long period of time so will refrain from doing that.

Regardless of what happens I am wicked excited for everyone that gets to see this show. I did see FB in between Pixies and Catholics, so at least have heard a lot of this live. Twas a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, however.

vilainde Posted - 06/12/2024 : 09:41:03
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

When your eyes are cleared of tears, ready the news that I posted in the other thread... carefully. Thomas?

Ooooh, nice!
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 06/12/2024 : 09:22:58

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Troubles A Foot Posted - 06/12/2024 : 09:14:25
If he doesn't play in the US or anywhere within driving distance to me (even an insane distance) I will be immensely upset. Two dates in the UK and France? This sucks.
moonruler Posted - 06/12/2024 : 08:30:55
quote:
Originally posted by The Holiday Son

A Paris date !
NOW I'm crying... tears of joy.

And I am crying tears of sorrow and loss. Do not think I can justify another trip to Europe to see a show. My wife really wants to go to Paris, though...

yarbles Posted - 06/12/2024 : 06:38:41
quote:

A Paris date !

I'm mighty tempted to take the train over from London and catch the Paris gig as well!
The Holiday Son Posted - 06/12/2024 : 05:08:17
A Paris date !
Ziggy Posted - 06/12/2024 : 01:30:09
Interesting detail from the release - Rob Laufer (who has a credit on SMYT and Christmass) joins the band to alternate with EDF on bass/keys.

The band is:
Frank Black on guitar and vocals
Eric Drew Feldman on bass and keys
Lyle Workman on guitar
Nick Vincent on drums
Rob Laufer – keys, bass and guitar

A short article of recollections from EDF here

https://www.scribd.com/document/741247583/Teenager-of-the-Year?secret_password=Kg2teBCMRAFmfusecKqf
yarbles Posted - 06/12/2024 : 01:09:54
https://blackfranc.is/news/frank-black-announces-teenager-of-the-year-2025-shows/ from Frank Black Francis' new website

damn, Benji beat me by 4 seconds.

I have a feeling US dates will come later in 2025.
benji Posted - 06/12/2024 : 01:09:50
https://blackfranc.is/news/frank-black-announces-teenager-of-the-year-2025-shows/

Just the 2 shows announced. I wonder if there will be more?

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Active Duck Posted - 06/12/2024 : 00:37:10
https://lwtheatres.co.uk/whats-on/frank-black/

Frank Black
Thu 6 February 2025

Coming to The London Palladium
Venue presale Thu 13 June, 9am
Tickets on general sale Fri 14 June, 9am

Originally released in May 1994, Teenager of the Year, is now widely regarded as the defining statement of his solo career and the best album the Pixies never made.

Now, Frank Black comes to The London Palladium, to play the iconic album in full.

Along with Frank Black, the band for the show features Eric Drew Feldman, Lyle Workman and Nick Vincent who originally appeared on the Teenager Of the Year album.
Ziggy Posted - 06/11/2024 : 08:48:12
Lyle Workman's posted Charles' thoughts from the press release on Instagram. No details on specific dates quite yet but it's a lovely read.

TEENAGER OF THE YEAR Sometime in the early 80s, I'd have to look the date, I matriculated
high school. This school held an awards banquet for some of the departing students at the school. I received an award called the TEENAGER OF THE YEAR award; my brother received the same award the following year.

Our award was a 50 dollar credit for textbooks, a TEENAGER OF THE YEAR medallion (my mother still has this), and also the banquet hall dinner, soup to nuts. My brother and I had no complaint about award (it was given for being all-around-good-guy as best as we could determine). But for such a grand title to be given as TEENAGER OF THE YEAR, I felt the glory had not been amplified enough.

In 1993, I was doing "solo recording" sessions with Eric Drew Feldman in Los Angeles. We had settled on a core band with Nick Vincent and Lyle Workman, occasionally augmented by Joey Santiago and Moris Tepper. Though we had to change studios numerous times for actual forest fires and earthquakes, the whole process was such an addictive musical buffet that Eric and I couldn't stop. We did some vocals at a studio rumored to be owned by Sergio Mendes; in t control room was wall of television screens broadcasting the brush which crept toward us. We eventually evacuated to someplace else. We never met Sergio but we saw him perform a few weeks later when we vacated to Las Vegas after the Northridge earthquake, which had trapped the TEENAGER OF THE YEAR tapes in a studio vault for some time. Our zeal plus empathy from our financiers, they safely observing travails from London, was enough to keep the money flowing until Eric and I relented and declared "Consummatum est".

We tried to make it grand. 22 in 62. I called it TEENAGER OF THE YEAR. It is 30 years old now, and the original band will perform the record at various venues in early 2025. 4AD has remastered the LP for a fresh printing. Enjoy.

Black Francis 2024 Meredith, New Hampshire
Sprite Posted - 06/11/2024 : 07:16:52
Whoopy doo!!!
Ziggy Posted - 06/11/2024 : 06:51:49
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by wilson

tour announcing tomorrow at 9am, on sale friday!
6th feb london palladium!

Any links?

Deleted from the seetickets site but should be back tomorrow. Finally an official announcement after the tedious "I know something you don't" teasing.
Bedbug Posted - 06/11/2024 : 06:45:35
quote:

Any links?
billgoodman Posted - 06/11/2024 : 06:29:12
quote:

whut!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
wilson Posted - 06/11/2024 : 05:51:17
Troubles A Foot Posted - 06/08/2024 : 21:45:01
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Hey congrats Troubles!

Oh thank you so much! Baby of the Year coming any day now.
vilainde Posted - 06/08/2024 : 09:31:28
Hey congrats Troubles!

Denis
moonruler Posted - 06/07/2024 : 09:16:35
I do hope they do a few EU dates for those folks. Although I did go to Europe for the Bossa/Trompe shows because I did not think they were going to do that tour here.

And holy crap was it worth it.
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by moonruler

I think I might cry when this announcement comes out. Is that okay?

I'll cry if it's a US only tour...

The Holiday Son Posted - 06/06/2024 : 23:19:30
quote:
Originally posted by moonruler

I'll cry if it's a US only tour...
Troubles A Foot Posted - 06/06/2024 : 22:46:40
My wife is having a baby in three weeks and we basically acknowledged we won't be doing things like movies, events or concerts for a while, but a TOTY show would be the exception. Time to leave the baby with the parents.
moonruler Posted - 06/06/2024 : 09:07:41

Bedbug Posted - 06/05/2024 : 12:09:21
And can someone please set the announcement to Announcement?
Bedbug Posted - 06/05/2024 : 12:08:14
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Looking like an announcement next week then, judging by the teases in the FB group.

Unbelievable
Ziggy Posted - 06/05/2024 : 10:10:50
Looking like an announcement next week then, judging by the teases in the FB group.
Superabounder Posted - 04/27/2024 : 11:37:17
Oh my gosh have not been here in years but thankful to have checked the forum today! If this tour happens!!? Will blow my mind. I skipped TOTY tour because the cover of the album bummed me out for a while and I didn’t get in to the album right away for some stupid reason. Later became my fav album for years and years. The Cult tour blew my mind. One of best concerts I ever saw. Excited!! Would be cool if there was a meetup in a big city or cities if this happens!

I'd rather be anywhere or doing anything
Sprite Posted - 04/09/2024 : 12:36:53
Ooh nice. Ayoade not too shabbby on the guitar!
The Maharal Posted - 04/09/2024 : 12:01:30
Can't find Calistan but here are the other two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJhFEqFa9x0&ab_channel=AdamBuxton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9DCxymPFdg&ab_channel=AdamBuxton
The Maharal Posted - 03/24/2024 : 02:17:45
Nice. Buxton is great. Looking forward to whenever he gets around to doing that podcast with BF which he has teased a few times at this stage (and it's long overdue since they're friends). Still find it amusing that Adam was milling around the area whenever Kim decided to abandon ship during the Indie Cindy recordings.
Bedbug Posted - 03/23/2024 : 18:54:47
WWWWWHHHHHHHAAAAAATTTTTTT
Sprite Posted - 03/23/2024 : 18:21:08
If you think playing Bird Dream and the Happening was good well wait till you hear he played Calistan in London on Tuesday

(from Reddit Planet of Sound)

https://www.reddit.com/r/thepixies/comments/1bj72s5/last_night_adam_buxton_brought_out_frank_black_to/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night Adam Buxton brought out Frank Black to play 'Hey' with Richard Ayoade.
Ol' Buckles played the London Palladium last night and in the second half did a bit on Pixies and their influence on him. After a bit of customary waffle, Ayoade started noodling Hey on his guitar. When Buxton asked him to sing it, he seemed shy and instead, from stage right, emerged Frank Black. They played Hey, with Ayoade doing the lead solo.

Then Buxton got Frank Black to play Calistan. And he finished with Where Is My Mind.

Great night.
Bedbug Posted - 03/22/2024 : 07:23:16
Thanks so much Peter

Appreciate your work on this

Please do keep us posted

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000